(One-Page City) Samurbia, City of Scheming Swords

Discussion of supplements and resources, whether fan-created or professional, free or for sale. Include any reviews here, too!

Re: (One-Page City) Samurbia, City of Scheming Swords

Postby Geordie Racer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 pm

I like what you're doing JR, I wish I had the attention span to work on something like that.

hey everyone - here's an unfinished word doc. :

TEMPLE DISTRICT in the distant city of CHUNE

if you want to add anything to it, fill it in , or redesign it feel free :)
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby Zulgyan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Constructive question: why do you need to know where the candlemaker lives? If at some point the PCs eventually need one, which would be pretty rare, you can just improvise it. I just don't see the need of that mundane, non-adventuring information.

On another note: flying monkeys are neat. :D
Zulgyan

Postby Geordie Racer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Zulgyan wrote:Constructive question: why do you need to know where the candlemaker lives? If at some point the PCs eventually need one, which would be pretty rare, you can just improvise it. I just don't see the need of that mundane, non-adventuring information.

Maybe the description for the Candlemaker is an adventure seed and links to a random encounter and another location. Maybe the candles are large and elaborately carved with sorcerous properties, burning them acts as a modifier for certain rituals.

Everyone is free to change it. Someone already has ( me !!! :D ) and on my map the location is now:

1 Abode of Dharkinz: a noble in exile, Dharkinz* is a genius, a radical geometrist and mathematician. He disbelieves in magic, thinking it superstition and has attempted to codify it's effects through the extrapolation of logic. He and 1d6 followers meet to discuss theory and work equations, which has an effect on the magical balance of the city for 2d4 hours afterwards (roll on wild magic table), as their equations tap into the essence of the Entity**

* the soul of the city, an alien entity imprisoned deep under the ziggurat but able to affect certain aspects of daily life.

Zulgyan wrote:On another note: flying monkeys are neat. :D

totally :)
Last edited by Geordie Racer on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby Zulgyan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 am

Maybe the description for the Candlemaker is an adventure seed and links to a random encounter and another location. Maybe the candles are large and elaborately carved with sorcerous properties, burning them acts as a modifier for certain rituals.

Yes, if the candlemaker in that particular place is something special and unique, then that's cool!
Zulgyan

Postby Mythmere » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:00 am

I don't ordinarily do cities at a high level of detail, but I will sometimes detail a neighborhood so I can describe various shops without having to do both shops and people on the fly. I find it difficult to use someone else's city at that level of detail, though - I even have difficulty with the City State.

Mentioning the City State, though, - in the CSIO, that candlemaker could be a gay ogre with a brothel in the basement and a pet pterodactyl in the second story. You just NEVER know.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Nellisir » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

Zulgyan wrote:Yes, if the candlemaker in that particular place is something special and unique, then that's cool!

When writing descriptions, the question is always, ALWAYS, "What do adventurers do?" If you're going to describe it, it needs to be worthwhile to the adventuring party. That's why you never see a toilet without an otyugh in it.
Secrets of the Shadowend - A Swords & Wizardry, 3e, True20, and Rules-Free blog...all-in-one!
Nellisir

Postby Zulgyan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:59 am

You speak with the voice of truth. :lol:
Zulgyan

Postby JR Johnson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Mythmere wrote:I don't ordinarily do cities at a high level of detail, but I will sometimes detail a neighborhood so I can describe various shops without having to do both shops and people on the fly. I find it difficult to use someone else's city at that level of detail, though - I even have difficulty with the City State.

Heh, I know what you mean about the City State. Actually, the Flipping Frog Tavern is a nod to the Overlord's city.

That said, I think part of the problem is that City's tend to be too large and... how can I put this? ... accessible may be? In fact, I think this can be a problem with wilderness campaigns in general. Basically, the area of play is too big, and the freedom of movement by characters too free, for the DM to plan it all out. It forces the DM to pencil stuff in, and then make the detail up on the fly. For me, this was always one of the really big advantages of the dungeon; it was an environment that the DM could fully detail, and then just let the players explore it in a free-roaming manner. IMO this is why the later modules, in trying to be more 'realistic' and 'escape the dungeon', ended up becoming so linear - in order to provide the detail the module needed, the freedom of movement the players had needed to be curtailed or guided to along a series of set-piece encounters.

I'm trying to overcome this with my own city by building it as a series of districts, where I treat each district in the same kind of way I'd deal with a Dungeon level. I've been helped in this by a piece of artwork from an old issue of White Dwarf, a lovely piece of work that showed a fantasy city built into the side of a mountain. What interested me was that the city was made up of separate areas linked by paths and bridges. I've stolen this idea, imagining my mega-dungeon being inside the mountain, and the city outside. The players start off in the Lower Ports district (the Cities equivalent of the 1st level of the dungeon). There are ways out of the district that lead to the sewers and my mega-dungeon, but also to the Upper Ports and other 'levels' of the city. This has allowed me to focus the Lower Ports on low level parties, while the upper levels of the city can provide increasingly greater challenges. In a nutshell, it's megadungeon design meets city design.

Aaaargh - I've gone off on one again. Sorry for rambling. As I said in an earlier post I've been bitten bad by the S&W bug, and am as obsessed about my campaign as an 14 year old newbie :D
JR Johnson

Postby Geordie Racer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:59 am

ramble on - that city sounds fascinating :)

Have made a few significant changes to both cities, also made them more system-neutral.
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby Geordie Racer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm

yet another city:

Mahtuga
Last edited by Geordie Racer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Resources, Products and Supplements