5/30/09 Minute Maid Sucktathlon

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: 5/30/09 Minute Maid Sucktathlon

Postby Stonegiant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:06 am

See I just consider Texans as northerners :D
Come visit me at The Stonegiant's Cave. As if there wasn't enough of these damn blogs around! I can guarantee mine is going to be pretty crappy, inconsistent, and probably smells like bait. My focus is fishing, hand drawn maps, and other crap from life.
Stonegiant

Postby Mythmere » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 am

Stonegiant wrote:See I just consider Texans as northerners :D

Actually, I forgot that however they measure humidity, it can go over 100%. I've seen it as high as 110% here, but 100% during the summer is the normal top. FL could actually be worse. Although I shudder to think of it.

The height of our summers is about a 95 degree average with 95% humidity. It gusts up to 100 degrees and/or 100% humidity, and down to 92 degrees with 80% humidity. All of which suck.

On the other hand, you can wear shorts in January.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby The Venomous Pao » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 am

Meanwhile, here in the northern wilds of Austin we're expecting 106 with 70% humidity or so. Oh, how I miss those balmy days in Houston :)

But seriously, this summer has been brutal so far. It terrifies me to say that I think this is worse than even the hell that was the summer of 1980. But, as Myth says, shorts in January. It's the mantra that I keep repeating to keep myself from going thoroughly insane from the heat.
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby chgowiz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 am

In Chicago, we've had unusually mild to cool temps. It's been really weird.
chgowiz

Postby Mythmere » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

The Venomous Pao wrote:Meanwhile, here in the northern wilds of Austin we're expecting 106 with 70% humidity or so. Oh, how I miss those balmy days in Houston :)

But seriously, this summer has been brutal so far. It terrifies me to say that I think this is worse than even the hell that was the summer of 1980. But, as Myth says, shorts in January. It's the mantra that I keep repeating to keep myself from going thoroughly insane from the heat.

106 in AUSTIN?! Dude, your hills are malfunctioning. :shock:

Actually, the worst summer I ever suffered through was in Cambridge Massachussetts. It was only in the low 90s, but humidity was high and there was NO AIR CONDITIONING ANYWHERE. No escape from the heat.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby The Venomous Pao » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Mythmere wrote:106 in AUSTIN?! Dude, your hills are malfunctioning. :shock:

Tell me about it. Right this minute it's 101.7 with a heat index of 107. And it's only getting hotter this afternoon. But hey, at least we have Barton Springs to cool us off. 68 degree water will strip the heat right off of you.

Mythmere wrote:Actually, the worst summer I ever suffered through was in Cambridge Massachussetts. It was only in the low 90s, but humidity was high and there was NO AIR CONDITIONING ANYWHERE. No escape from the heat.

Ah, life without AC. I spent my first summer in Austin with no AC in the house I was living in. I barely slept that summer. Worse, though, were the two years in Houston when I had no AC in my car. I worked a "regular" job that required me to wear slacks and a tie to the office every day. It was, in a word, hell. But hey, it was a damp heat, so I didn't actually catch on fire.
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby Stonegiant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:09 pm

The summer of 98 here was are worst on record. IIRC in the month of june we had 20+ days above a hundred, humidity was off the charts as well yet we had no rain. The National Park Service uses a specific scale to measure dry weather conditions (I can't remember what its called), 800 is the max and reflects desert like conditions at their worst, every county in Florida measured at least a 750. The wildfires that year were so bad they had to evacuate the entire county south of us, something like 65,000 people. Never have complained about the rain since than.
Come visit me at The Stonegiant's Cave. As if there wasn't enough of these damn blogs around! I can guarantee mine is going to be pretty crappy, inconsistent, and probably smells like bait. My focus is fishing, hand drawn maps, and other crap from life.
Stonegiant

Postby The Red Priest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Being directly on the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain helps the Big Easy. The lake acts as a heat sink, and rarely allows the temperature to rise above 96 degrees. Of course, the heat index often comes in between 105 to 110. :cry:

This summer, however, the record temps of 100 degrees were rolling in until this "cool" front came through. Now, we're back to our normal 90somethings.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Telecanter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:04 pm

No humidity out this way-- Fresno, California, but last I looked our air quality was the worst in the country after L.A. So, a kind of dry, giving-your-lungs-that-crisp-raspy-feeling kinda heat.
Telecanter

Previous

Return to Ye "Blog"