6/04/09 Off to Dallas

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: 6/04/09 Off to Dallas

Postby Philotomy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Too busy gaming. Heck, there was barely enough time to sleep... :D
Philotomy

Postby Mythmere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:07 pm

We were all having way too much fun to be blogging. Like, I was DMing Dennis Sustarre (as in, Chariot of Sustarre, author of Bunnies and Burrows), chatting with Matt from Centerstage Minis about how he'd made the Dragolisk miniature that made its debut at the con, hanging out smoking with Tim Kask, Frank Mentzer, and Rob Kuntz, gaming in Allan Grohe's Greyhawk Castle ("Escape from Level 14"), dying in Tim Kask's dungeon along with all the rest of the stalwart gamers who made the attempt alongside me, checking out the really cool new Swords & Wizardry t-shirts, looking at a whole bunch of original artwork Jason Braun had just finished ... you know, there just wasn't time for blogging.....
:mrgreen:

EDIT: In all seriousness, though, since I just dropped a lot of names, the fun of it was about meeting everyone as fellow gamers, not as celebrities of the gaming world. Dropping names was just to twist the knife for everyone who couldn't make it this year. :D (Did it twist? Not enough? Oh, I forgot to mention I was sitting next to Paul Jaquays in Allan's game. He played a thief). :D :D
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby bat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Mythmere, you are now one of the celebrities of the gaming world.
You are one of the people who picked up the gauntlet.
Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets blog
Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.
bat

Postby The Red Priest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Mythmere wrote: Oh, I forgot to mention I was sitting next to Paul Jaquays in Allan's game. He played a thief). :D :D

The hitman's on his way as I type this. :evil:
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Mythmere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 pm

bat wrote:Mythmere, you are now one of the celebrities of the gaming world.

Oh, bleah. Nope. I know, because for one thing, I have no ponytail.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby bat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:38 pm

At least you don't have a big head about it.
It is true, however, there is a pretty big buzz out there about S&W and LL and the rest of the gang.
Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets blog
Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.
bat

Postby The Red Priest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Mythmere wrote:
bat wrote:Mythmere, you are now one of the celebrities of the gaming world.

Oh, bleah. Nope. I know, because for one thing, I have no ponytail.

And, you could likely complete a 10K.

bat wrote:At least you don't have a big head about it.

The crimson cleric has a sharp pin for just such an eventuality.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Mythmere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 pm

bat wrote:At least you don't have a big head about it.
It is true, however, there is a pretty big buzz out there about S&W and LL and the rest of the gang.

Yeah, there's a big buzz, but it's because of this board, not me specifically. Verhaden and Kramer CARRIED me through layout. Chad, Fitz and Jeff Preston CARRIED us through the art needs. A whole raft of people did the creative side of the Monster Book - I might have done fewer than 10% of the new monsters in it. The driving force right now is the unbelievable level of creative activity going on in these forums. That's what's powering the Swords & Wizardry engine; I'm just trying to steer the car a little bit. (Because you guys keep running over hobbits and stuff when left to your own devices).

And, you could likely complete a 10K.

I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, so I still have a working keyboard, and you still don't have your revenge for the fact that I got to adventure in Castle Greyhawk with Paul Jaquays.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Philotomy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Mythmere wrote:...dying in Tim Kask's dungeon along with all the rest of the stalwart gamers who made the attempt alongside me...

A true statement, but it leaves out the terribly significant news that a different group not only survived said dungeon, but (in a single round) defeated the threat which killed your party and then went on to attain all the goals set down at the beginning of the adventure. 8-)

I forgot to mention I was sitting next to Paul Jaquays in Allan's game. He played a thief.

Yeah, he said that was the first time he ever played a thief. He gave the thief an amusing name that I can't quite recall at the moment: Tom the door-lover, or something along those lines. (He kept opening just about every door we came to.)

I thought it was great that we left some "adventurer graffiti" down there on Level 14. "This door goes to hell." Heh.
Last edited by Philotomy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philotomy

Postby Mythmere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Philotomy wrote:I thought it was great that we left some "adventurer graffiti" down there on Level 14. "This door goes to hell." Heh.

What's important to keep in mind is ... it was true.

But we didn't know it when we were trying to spike it open, at least, not until the evil titan came through the door. Was it Paul's character who was trying to spike the door open at the time? Sucked for the dwarf (Gus?) - fumbling and accidentally throwing your only magic weapon through a gate INTO HELL is possibly the worst fumble I have ever seen.
Mythmere
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ye "Blog"