6/04/09 Off to Dallas

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: 6/04/09 Off to Dallas

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 am

Tim seemed to have a constant level of middling good time, with occasional bursts of high ol' time. Much of the high ol' time was in talking to people, and when parties avoided his traps by a narrow margin. Also when someone did something incredibly stupid in-game. I'd say the convention maybe rated a B+ for him, possibly an A-.

Frank seemed to be having an A- time, and I had no read on Paul, who is VERY laid back. Same with Rob, but possibly an A- on him. (hey, I've created a new rating system here) :D

The rank and file like me had an A to A+ time, I'd say. Conversations were great, gaming was lots of fun, meeting internet buddies was really cool.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Badmike » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey guys!

First off, thanks to Mythmere for his Saturday night game. Since I really didn't have time to actually play (being sort of co-convention runner dude), I did a lot of kitbitzing and suggestion as my buddy Dr. Joe and I tag-teamed his dwarf fighter character. However, being very interested in S&W I really wanted to see how the system worked, and definitely wanted to experience Matt's adventure which I had seen favorably reviewed. Well, I was NOT disappointed.

No hype, S&W may be the PERFECT rules of a convention. Easy, clean, and perfect for jumping right into the action...we were already heading out when other groups the same night playing OD&D or 1E were still in their spell lists And The Spire was a great adventure...above all, WEIRD as all hell, and having to face a lot of unique type monsters made us really unsure as to how we should approach them. We were perhaps far too cautious, as we only finished the first level and part of the 2nd level in the 5-6 hours we gamed, but it was great fun. What was funny was that fiveminutes before gametime Mythmere had ONE signup (two of the others never showed up to game) and withing a minute had a full table of seven!!! Matt was a great DM and had some good gaming style. A really fun time! And yes it was very cool to be gaming alongside the great Dennis Sustarre, who BTW told Doug and I when we asked him to come that he didn't game anymore and was sure he wasn't going to do anything but hang out....! Once a gamer always a gamer.

Speaking of, Dennis has already agreed to come next year (he apparantly had the time of his life!). We have also received postive sounds from Paul (who doesn't know where he will be next year, but said he would love to attend), Tim and Frank. Rob Kuntz also pretty much guaranteed a return appearance. We also have some idea about new guests next year so we'll just have to wait and see, but be warned some of the possibilities are very exciting!

For my part, I'm most an Acaeum guys, so meeting guys like Mythmere and Philotomy was great. Hope to see you guys next year, and hopefully we will have more slots for S&W games at the con!

Mike B.
Badmike

Postby Philotomy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Badmike wrote:For my part, I'm most an Acaeum guys, so meeting guys like Mythmere and Philotomy was great. Hope to see you guys next year, and hopefully we will have more slots for S&W games at the con!

It was great to meet you guys, too. I know I'm definitely planning on returning next year. I've been thinking about running a game, if there's any interest.
Last edited by Philotomy on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philotomy

Postby Mythmere » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:28 pm

From the thread on the Acaeum, it sounds like Tim had an A+ time, actually. :D
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby The Red Priest » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Badmike wrote:For my part, I'm most an Acaeum guys, so meeting guys like Mythmere and Philotomy was great. Hope to see you guys next year, and hopefully we will have more slots for S&W games at the con!

Mike B.

If I were you, I'd look into a larger venue for next year, cause my guess is there will be a lot of us who passed on the first con that won't pass on the second one. :)
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby grodog » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Based on comments Mike and Doug made at the show, that's already in the works, TRP, and the dates are already up for next year, too: http://www.ntrpgcon.com/ :D
grodog
----
Allan Grohe
Editor and Project Manager
Black Blade Publishing

grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
grodog

Postby Akrasia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 am

Pity the con is in Dallas ... :(
My S&W Blog, "Akratic Wizardry": http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/
My 'swords & sorcery' house rules for S&W: http://enrill.net/documents/akratic-wizardry.pdf
Akrasia

Postby Philotomy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Akrasia wrote:Pity the con is in Dallas ... :(

Hah! I disagree. :mrgreen:
Philotomy

Postby The Red Priest » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Akrasia wrote:Pity the con is in Dallas ... :(

That's how I've felt about all the yankee cons over the years.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Badmike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 pm

The Red Priest wrote:
If I were you, I'd look into a larger venue for next year, cause my guess is there will be a lot of us who passed on the first con that won't pass on the second one. :)

We were already planning it before the 1st one had even begun, based on response!

Next year we will have a bigger venue, more games, more guests, etc, while still keeping it small enough that it feels like a gaming session with friends.

by Akrasia on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Pity the con is in Dallas ...

Why should the yankees and northerners have all the fun??? :D We don't have any good cons around here that focus on old school gaming. We are right next to one of the largest airports in the world, which is very easy to get in and out of...most attendees commented on that fact. Plus flights were pretty cheap for most...

We had attendees from Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, California, Delaware, Canada and the UK....and people drive in from locations such as Wichita, KS; San Antonio, TX;, and Memphis, TN. Distance shouldn't be an excuse; maybe extreme poverty, which I can understand, but not distance.

Mike B.
Badmike

PreviousNext

Return to Ye "Blog"