6/22/09 Waiting Game

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

6/22/09 Waiting Game

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 am

Probably only people who have sent me materials would notice this, but I've become relatively inactive on editing and writing over the last couple of days. That's because I'm in the final phase of discussions with our prospective publisher, the distance in between a term sheet and a signed contract. Lots of things can go sideways in that phase of an agreement, as I well know from years of experience as a corporate lawyer. This is when you get down to the actual specifics as opposed to general plans, and it's also the point in discussions where the two parties are looking at a legal document - and a legal document is designed to address what happens if things go wrong. It's the touchiest phase of an agreement.

That's not really the issue - the issue is that I need that inked contract in order to know what my schedules are, and where the priorities are. Should I be focusing on lulu? On switching from lulu? On production, or on distribution matters? When do various things have to be completed? A lot of this is up in the air until the contract is signed.

This is the reason why I haven't been focused on editing and working with authors, or signing up artists. If I were a level-headed, business-oriented person, I'd be moving ahead regardless. But from a psychological standpoint, that's not what I am. I need to have the overall picture in mind before I can work particularly well. I don't function well during the periods of time when the project's direction is in flux (this is true of matters in RL for me, too).

Anyway, this is just to let people know that I'll be back on track fairly shortly, one way or the other. I just need to know for sure which way. :D
Mythmere
Site Admin

Re: 6/22/09 Waiting Game

Postby Coleston » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

Matt, don't taking anything less than a $1,000,000 and your own private jet.
Hold them to it. :D
"There is nothing of value in this room."
John Adams
Coleston

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:25 am

Coleston wrote:Matt, don't taking anything less than a $1,000,000 and your own private jet.
Hold them to it. :D

Nah, I'm willing to take a prop-driven plane... :D
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Garish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Matt, just know that we are behind you no matter which way things go. I, too, hate to be 'in flux', whether at work, or doing a project at home. I like to think it's a sign of stability and genius:-)
Garish

Postby Bandigerbolls » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:37 am

Since the economy took a sharp dive, I'm finding myself in a state of uncertainty almost every day. Sometimes I'll set aside a whole day for work and there's no work to be done. Even though I have a hundred things that need doing, when I don't know the best way my time should be spent I feel a strong urge to do nothing. :?

Now I make a list of things that need to be done regardless of circumstances, and that nags me into action. :roll:
Bandigerbolls

Postby Mythmere » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 am

Bandigerbolls wrote:Since the economy took a sharp dive, I'm finding myself in a state of uncertainty almost every day. Sometimes I'll set aside a whole day for work and there's no work to be done. Even though I have a hundred things that need doing, when I don't know the best way my time should be spent I feel a strong urge to do nothing. :?

Now I make a list of things that need to be done regardless of circumstances, and that nags me into action. :roll:

Picture of a chariot race? ;)

(or, wait, that was you, right? Or am I mixing people up? God, internet handles are a pain - I keep getting people confused once I know their real names as well as their nicknames)
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:16 am

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? His name is my name, too. :?
The Outlook is Grim

Mythrus Tower:
Walrus Scumboot - Human Fighting Man (DEAD)
Juju Eyeball - Human Fighting Man (Retired - Level 3)
Grim

Postby Mythmere » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:20 am

Grim wrote:John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? His name is my name, too. :?

Yes, like that, only different. :geek:
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Bandigerbolls » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Mythmere wrote:Picture of a chariot race? ;)

(or, wait, that was you, right? Or am I mixing people up? God, internet handles are a pain - I keep getting people confused once I know their real names as well as their nicknames)

That's me. I worked on it some today. It took a while to do the horses. I'm like a Dwarf with my ambivalence toward horses. :)
Bandigerbolls

Postby Ghul » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Transition phases can be troublesome. I hope everything works out to your and your prospective publisher's satisfaction.
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird-Science. Coming in 2010 from North Wind Adventures. Please be sure to visit the AS&SH Facebook Page as well.
Ghul

Return to Ye "Blog"