Shenanigans?

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: Shenanigans?

Postby bat » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

I can only reply that I have heard reports from a couple of people about alleged bullying within our community and as I am not a victim of it and I have no proof, I am not at liberty to divulge what I have heard. I would rather look like a jerk for withholding than not have any proof in my hands. I will say that I am really letdown by what I have heard and that if true it could cause a wide chasm within the OSR. This is a case in which it is not my place to say anything more other than I wish I had never heard of any of it.
Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets blog
Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.
bat

Postby RandallS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Mythmere wrote:From what David Macauley said, it was a clone publisher, and RandallS specifically mentioned it wasn't anyone involved with the OSR. Sometimes things get changed around in the telling, like that "grapevine" game we probably all played at school, but, hm. It does sound like the same sort of thing.

Just to be very clear, this email was from a publisher who has nothing to do with the OSR. It was from a publisher of "Forge-style" games. I haven't heard of anything like this from anyone involved in the OSR. Every OSR publisher I've talked with has been supportive of (or at least not opposed to) free games like M74.
RetroRoleplaying.com [Blog :: Forum] -- Out-of-Print and Out-of-Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS

Postby Greyharp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:12 pm

As the originator of the comment that has caused all this fuss, I thought I'd better clear up the situation. Two people I respect greatly both felt they had been unfairly pressured by a third to abandoned their works and throw their lot in with his. In my "righteous" indignation, I posted a comment on the GreyhawkGrognard blog that seemed, at the time, relevant to the discussion, but in hindsight I deeply regret. I am sorry for the unnecessary upset and consternation this has caused people. Unlike some, I see the OSR as a real and growing development, one that will only continue to do so if its wonderfully diverse parts continue to work together. It never entered my foolish head that my comments would cause division and it distresses me to think that it has. Truth be told, it was never my business and I should've let the parties involved sort it out themselves. Of the two, one has decided that it was perhaps a misunderstanding and put it behind him. All three parties are on good terms, so it's all water under the bridge. Naming names would only cause further upset, anger and division and would serve no practical purpose, especially if it turned out it was indeed all a matter of miscommunication and misunderstanding. I have been hoping the subject would be dropped by now, but as it hadn't, felt I should say something. So once again I apologise for, however unintentionally, stirring up trouble where none was needed and I urge people to learn from my mistake and focus on the positives.

As for Randall's situation, as he pointed out above, it is totally unrelated.

David
Greyharp

Postby bat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 am

David, don't beat yourself up too hard over this, while I agree that it is best to leave it as water under the bridge I also believe that you said something out of a legitimate care and concern. The sooner this passes by the better, though.
Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets blog
Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.
bat

Previous

Return to Ye "Blog"