Shenanigans?

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Shenanigans?

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 am

Over here http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... -thin.html , there's a mention of "shenanigans" including this comment:

From David Macauley:
I couldn't agree with this comment more. Behind the scenes shenanigans recently saw one clone publisher try to pressure another one to close his down, while at the same time try to pressure a third publisher to halt an upcoming clone before it was published.

Then from ancientvaults:
@ David Macauley: Somehow I don't believe that the "behind the scenes shenanigans" are that "behind the scenes" anymore.

WTF? Is there some "common knowledge" that I've missed somewhere in the blogosphere?
Mythmere
Site Admin

Re: Shenanigans?

Postby R. Lawrence Blake » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:09 am

Aw, geez. First time I heard of this. Only thing I can think of is the C&C/OSRIC feud.

All I know is that S&W, LL, and BFRPG seem to have a friendly inter-community.
R. Lawrence Blake

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:20 am

R. Lawrence Blake wrote:Aw, geez. First time I heard of this. Only thing I can think of is the C&C/OSRIC feud.

All I know is that S&W, LL, and BFRPG seem to have a friendly inter-community.

I can say pretty much for certain that TLG didn't try to pressure Stuart on OSRIC. They posted that their lawyer had advised them against having anything to do with OSRIC (that was on DF, and a very long time ago), and they didn't allow mention of OSRIC on their messageboards for a while, but I think that latter policy got changed. I don't think that really constitutes pressure, though. Lots of people were reacting to OSRIC at the time, both positively and negatively. I didn't much like the "my lawyer says" post, but they certainly had the right to ban discussion of a "competing" game on their messageboards. It turned out not to be a good PR move, but I think the negative reaction to it came from C&C players.

After the early days of OSRIC, I think TLG has basically just ignored it. Certainly they didn't take Clark Peterson's (NG) aggressive repetition that he "wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole." I think rumors of a "feud" between C&C and OSRIC overstate what actually happened. A few individuals associated with the games had their own wars, but I don't think there was much at the actual Stuart/TLG level at all.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Geordie Racer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:21 pm

is the 'third publisher' BHP ? Was the game Perilous Mazes ?
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby MikeD » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I am curious about this too, as I have not heard of any "strong-arm" tactics either.
MikeD

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:27 pm

I assume BHP was the target of one of the two things mentioned, since he mentioned getting emails from people, although I don't recall him mentioning another publisher. John?
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Geordie Racer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Dan Proctor, in the conservatory, with a candlestick !
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby Mythmere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Geordie Racer wrote:Dan Proctor, in the conservatory, with a candlestick !

Heh, I doubt that. :mrgreen:
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Geordie Racer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Mythmere wrote:I assume BHP was the target of one of the two things mentioned, since he mentioned getting emails from people, although I don't recall him mentioning another publisher. John?

So is the halt to Perilous Mazes the reason he wants a piece of Whitebox ? :?
prole art threat
Geordie Racer

Postby R. Lawrence Blake » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Mythmere wrote:I assume BHP was the target of one of the two things mentioned, since he mentioned getting emails from people, although I don't recall him mentioning another publisher. John?

I forgot about the nasty emails John received from an unknown name. I can't believe that crap went down. At least for the most part the people within the OSR are supportive and civil, even in their disagreements.
R. Lawrence Blake

Next

Return to Ye "Blog"