8/11/09 Politeness and Popularity...

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: 8/11/09 Politeness and Popularity...

Postby Koren_nRhys » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 am

i, for one, appreciate the civility on this board.

I think an earlier poster quite rightly pointed out that since most of the folks here are actually writing/developing we tend to see less bickering back and forth in useless posts and much more useful critique instead. Sure, it's much quieter than the other boards, but the wheat to chaff ratio is much better, IMO.

If I want to go watch a train wreck for the entertainment value, I know where to find one. ;)

Re: The DF boards, I do frequent some of them - mainly the Workshop, Classic D&D and Simulacrum forums. I've heard some others are a bit harsh (to be kind) and stay away (lookin' at you AD&D!). Mostly they don't interest me anyway. I find the access to Frank Mentzer and others a good thing, if only for the insight into his version of D&D, and not so much the hero-worship. Reading through the Q&A threads for the various authors can be pretty interesting, to me.

I wouldn't sweat the apparent popularity or lack thereof of this place. Those who are truly interested will find it in time.
I gots blogs!
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone
Koren_nRhys

Postby The Venomous Pao » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Myth, if you turn this peaceful oasis of ideas and polite discussion into a raging, hate-filled, and contentious barroom I will personally stab you in the face with a fork. Repeatedly.

What? :D
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby Arminath » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:28 pm

The Venomous Pao wrote:Myth, if you turn this peaceful oasis of ideas and polite discussion into a raging, hate-filled, and contentious barroom I will personally stab you in the face with a fork. Repeatedly.

Use a spoon, it'll hurt more. :lol:

:ugeek:
World of Onn: Core Rules NOW AVAILABLE IN HARDCOVER at:
Fantasy Adventure Studios/Rogue Ranger Games

My blog - World of Onn
Arminath

Postby Mythmere » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Over on the TLG boards, I've had some fascinating things said about me on a thread that's apparently been deleted. My two attempts to respond to the character assassination were also both deleted.

Treebore says that I've been calling people c-tards (I haven't, and I'd love to see him back that up), and Sieg says that this must be the reason I didn't seek him out at the NTRPGcon to say hi (I didn't know he was there, or I would have).

I'd provide the quotes, but as I mentioned, the thread is now gone. What's fascinating is to see people talking about unity while spouting the most virulent poison they can. These are both people I thought I counted as friends, but obviously not.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby The Venomous Pao » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 pm

That sucks, Myth, and I'm sorry crap like that is going down.

To be honest, it was the personalities associated with TLG and their boards that drove me away from C&C. There's some toxic folks in that scene. I'd still play C&C, or at least use some ideas from it, but I haven't been to those boards in quite a while and don't think I'm likely to go back. Especially in light of this kind of behavior.

Again, more than anything, I'm sorry to hear that this kind of counterproductive junk is happening.
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby Melan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 am

That's only one of the many reasons you should always archive threads of interest. The Internet is too ephemeral to trust its memory (although Google's cache could still have your post if you really need it).

Also, congratulations on that Ennie! That's what matters, not a sad bunch of yapping anti-fans. As Colonel Hardisson's sig says: "Illegitimis non carborundum".
Melan

Postby DuBeers » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:08 am

Mythmere wrote:Treebore says that I've been calling people c-tards

What the deuce is a c-tard?

... and I'm sorry that happened to you, you're a good guy. If you're like me, you hate having words put in your mouth; I'm always telling people, "Look, I have enough trouble defending what I've actually said, don't start making it up!".
DuBeers

Postby Eisenmann » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 am

Dude, no. I like this forum because of its civility. I'll take slow and civil over rapid fire bad attitude any day of the week.
My old-school and otherwise gaming blog: Platonic Solid.
Eisenmann

Postby Matthew » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 am

Mythmere wrote:Over on the TLG boards, I've had some fascinating things said about me on a thread that's apparently been deleted. My two attempts to respond to the character assassination were also both deleted.

Treebore says that I've been calling people c-tards (I haven't, and I'd love to see him back that up), and Sieg says that this must be the reason I didn't seek him out at the NTRPGcon to say hi (I didn't know he was there, or I would have).

I'd provide the quotes, but as I mentioned, the thread is now gone. What's fascinating is to see people talking about unity while spouting the most virulent poison they can. These are both people I thought I counted as friends, but obviously not.

I read that thread, and I wouldn't worry about it. Probably just a misunderstanding between the three of you. I think Treebore specifically said that he thought you referred to him as a C-Tard, not people in general (though one could draw that inference). Obviously, both guys feel slighted in some way, but I do not think that is anything that cannot be overcome by means of the above explanation and a brief discourse.
Matthew

Postby Coleston » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:09 am

Since we have new folks coming into the OSR all the time, sooner or later many of them will want to know what "actually happened" a few years back - just like I had to a few years ago. But they face two problems: 1. So much of it concerns things that were apparently said and done in person or in pm's and 2. now it appears that the most insightful and damning threads from both the TLG & K&KA forums have been recently purged. This leaves us with with much hearsay, but almost no primary sources for folks to "find out what happened." But maybe this is a good thing. Maybe in a few more years folks won't even bring it up anymore.

Daily, I work with and frequent forums where folks see themselves on one or the other side of this old feud. As far as I can tell, with a few radical exceptions, folks on both sides are rather nice people with a love for gaming. And people on both sides think I am crazy.
"There is nothing of value in this room."
John Adams
Coleston

PreviousNext

Return to Ye "Blog"