8/11/09 Politeness and Popularity...

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

Re: 8/11/09 Politeness and Popularity...

Postby DuBeers » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am

Repeating my question, which seems to be getting lost in the following comments:

What is a C-tard?
DuBeers

Postby bat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:30 am

Couldn't be any worse than an f-tard, really. But any tardness is a bit harsh. I usually reserve f-tard for special cases and I like to say it in person.
Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets blog
Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.
bat

Postby The Venomous Pao » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:44 am

DuBeers wrote:Repeating my question, which seems to be getting lost in the following comments:

What is a C-tard?

I'm assuming it's a derogatory term for a player of Castles & Crusades. A variant on the oh-so-clever "3tard" epithet coined by disgruntled grognards back in the day to put down 3rd Ed players. In both cases "retard" seems to be the target word, just subbing out the rhyming prefix "C" or "3" - terribly, terribly clever, no?

Of course, we also now have "4ron" for the 4e players. And I kind of like that one :)
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby The Red Priest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 am

AFAIK, 3tard, ctard & 4ron are not blanket labels for all players of 3ed, C&C and 4e, but they are terms reserved for a special type of advocate of their respective games.

"O/AD&D is/are broken and my game fixes all that."
    "Get with the times gramps, my game is obviously superior. (Sometimes a "proof" is given, sometimes not)
    "OSR/Old School is all about nostalgia."

Obviously, some people use the xtard label liberally, but that goes for any type of label, no? LIke grognard = arrogant, bearded old fart. Okay, maybe that applies to me, but it surely doesn't apply to everyone that uses "the old ways." :ugeek:

FWIW, in the 4+ years that I've known Mythmere on-line, I've found him to be one of the most diplomatic people on the gaming network. I know there's "history" with *SOME* C&C advocates re: OSRIC, so some judgments may be clouded. Also, you never know what you'll hear through the grapevine.
Last edited by The Red Priest on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby DuBeers » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:32 am

Ah! I see it, now.

I have nothing to add to that.
DuBeers

Postby The Venomous Pao » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:40 am

The Red Priest wrote:AFAIK, 3tard, ctard & 4ron are not blanket labels for all players of 3ed, C&C and 4e, but they are terms reserved for a special type of advocate of their respective games.

Ah, that makes sense. I was just familiar with them as blanket terms, but I can see where they would get thrown back on people who were stirring things up. Still, I suspect the liberal usage flowered as a result of the exact type of forums that we're hoping that chump Mythmere doesn't try to turn this place into. The no good... SWanker? SWhiner? SWizzledick?

C'mon, people, help me come up with the definitive lame internet epithet for S&W players. Winner gets a N0e Prize :)
Contributing Author
Minotaur (Not Quarterly) #s 1-4 | Swords & Wizardry Monster Book | Knockspell #s 3 & 5
Old School, New School, And Other Bloggy Bits at: Strange Stones
The Venomous Pao

Postby The Red Priest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:41 pm

In the spirit of peace, love and understanding, might I suggest that we desist the oblique disparagement of other forums? The pool here is pretty clear, and once the FUD starts flying, the next you know, you've tracked in mud that might be difficult to clean up.

I'm just saying.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Coleston » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:47 am

The Red Priest wrote:In the spirit of peace, love and understanding, might I suggest that we desist the oblique disparagement of other forums? The pool here is pretty clear, and once the FUD starts flying, the next you know, you've tracked in mud that might be difficult to clean up.

I'm just saying.

Sure. But I was only commenting on what Matt brought up about the things said about him on another board. :)
"There is nothing of value in this room."
John Adams
Coleston

Postby The Red Priest » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

Munafik wrote:P.S. Not to derail this thread, but I am shocked as to how many of Dungeons & Dragons' founding fathers now work in the video game industry. Sitting in a cubicle all day and sometimes night writing gaming code while subsisting primarily on soda and candy bars is my definition of work Hell. Computer games, no matter how hard its designers try, will never hold a candle to traditional pencil and paper RPGs, for most lack that one essential element, direct interaction with your fellow human beings.

I imagine that the pay is a helluva of a lot superior to pencil & paper games now. If you've got kids, a mortgage and car notes, sometimes you just gotta suck it up. I'm not surprised that these guys who probably enjoy working on games followed the money. I agree with you that pencil & paper games are superior, and while I'm not much of a computer gamer myself, most of the CRPG games I've played were entertaining.
The Red Priest

Postby Bandigerbolls » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 am

There will always be more people wallowing in the gutter than pondering on the mountaintop.

Besides the "lowest common denominator" effect that makes flame boards popular, it can be fun to watch grown men make asses of themselves. :lol:
Bandigerbolls

PreviousNext

Return to Ye "Blog"