9/12/10 Fane

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

9/12/10 Fane

Postby Mythmere » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 am

At the moment, my primary focus is on the conversion of a to-be-released module called Fane of the Fallen. I am making some fairly deep alterations in the module (which is extremely large, possibly over 100pgs even in S&W format). The original version would, I think, seem a bit humdrum to S&W players in terms of the opposition -- in a way that's not a problem for Pathfinder, where unusual skills and feats can spice up a regular monster. Yes, I know this can be done in older editions too. I don't mean that. I have to make a few deeper changes than just using the type of spicing used in the PF rules.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure at this point (although I'm only about half done) that the converted version will be pretty cool for S&W. One of the key factors I have run across so far is that for relatively standard monsters, you have to increase overall numbers for S&W (souped-up orcs wouldn't work like they do in PF - it breaks the feel of the stupid, weak orc). You have to provide an external strategy (say, putting monsters on high ground, or using oil, or having pit traps, etc) rather than using tactical features that are built into the monster as in PF (skilled monsters that spring into and out of combat, for example). In some cases you can use a leader-type to soup up the opposition, so I have added more "mixed type" battles that were "one type" battles in the PF version.

It's a pretty interesting process - definitely not a matter of just converting stats, because you have to keep in mind the nature of the monsters (no souped-up orcs, as the example I gave earlier).
Mythmere
Site Admin

Re: 9/12/10 Fane

Postby The Red Priest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Mythmere wrote: The original version would, I think, seem a bit humdrum to S&W players in terms of the opposition --

Not exactly a high endorsement. I assume there's something other than the encounters that makes this a worthwhile conversion from 3 ... er ... I mean pathfinder to S&W? Please remember, not all of us are converts from newer systems, and so we're not all that up on the latest, coolest material in that arena. ;)

I guess that brings up another question (one I hadn't thought of until writing this here post). I suppose there will be "official" (for lack of a better word) modules produced by Frog, and I'm further supposing that some will be geared to appeal more to the pathfinder crossover crowd, and some geared more toward the "mostly older" ;) crowd. I even further suppose that there won't be any code words or phrases on the cover to differentiate the two. Of course, the easiest way to make sure you pick up an adventure you like is to sit back and let someone else pay for it and review it. So, I'm wondering. Is there any incentive for a publisher (Frog or anyone) to create a cover splash signifying intended audience? I mean, is there any incentive other than "just being nice"?

Of course, through time, publishers will differentiate their styles. This has already been done with OSRIC. As one example, Expeditious Retreat has become known as a "go to" publisher for pretty good old school stuff, whereas some unnamed publishers (cause I'm a nice guy) have become known for attempting to 3e-ify OSRIC.

And, now, I realized that I've rambled. Hopefully, I posed a half-sensible question in here somewhere.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
The Red Priest

Postby Mythmere » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:12 pm

The Red Priest wrote:
Mythmere wrote: The original version would, I think, seem a bit humdrum to S&W players in terms of the opposition --

Not exactly a high endorsement. I assume there's something other than the encounters that makes this a worthwhile conversion from 3 ... er ... I mean pathfinder to S&W? Please remember, not all of us are converts from newer systems, and so we're not all that up on the latest, coolest material in that arena. ;)

The setting and the series of locations are pretty good. You've got monsters that are too standard (they are beefed up and altered in ways that are interesting for PF, but either don't translate or overdo it for S&W - superpowered orcs work okay for PF, but not for S&W, as an example) ........... but they live in interesting places. Plus, I am applying my ineffable genius to it, so it will basically be godlike and cool and stuff.

I guess that brings up another question (one I hadn't thought of until writing this here post). I suppose there will be "official" (for lack of a better word) modules produced by Frog, and I'm further supposing that some will be geared to appeal more to the pathfinder crossover crowd, and some geared more toward the "mostly older" ;) crowd. I even further suppose that there won't be any code words or phrases on the cover to differentiate the two. Of course, the easiest way to make sure you pick up an adventure you like is to sit back and let someone else pay for it and review it. So, I'm wondering. Is there any incentive for a publisher (Frog or anyone) to create a cover splash signifying intended audience? I mean, is there any incentive other than "just being nice"?
[/quote]
The plan is that the style will all be "old school." That has always been the selling point at Necromancer. Once the conversions are done, the theory is that a S&W module will not have a distinctive PF style to it. That being said, we're already breaking Dennis Sustare's module out of the normal group because it's SO old-style in the presentation. That trend might continue if there's a detectable difference between different module styles. But that isn't what we're shooting for. We're shooting for old-school feel across the board, with conversions done as deep as necessary to eliminate problems across the two game editions. So far it's definitely working for Fane, but it is time consuming. Less time consuming than working from scratch, though.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby Geordie Racer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

'external strategies', 'mixed type battles' - sounds interesting. The place where I've seen this done best was a 4e game I sat in on, so I'm intrigued to see what you come up with.
Geordie Racer

Return to Ye "Blog"