9-21-10 Revenge of the Long Serpent

A place where I can ramble about this and that without flooding the rest of the boards.

9-21-10 Revenge of the Long Serpent

Postby Mythmere » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Revenge of the Long Serpent is a title I absolutely love. It's the name of a viking longship.

I just did the conversion on this module by Kenneth Spencer - I don't know him - and this is a seriously cool little adventure. Whereas Fane required some deep work to make it function as a strong old school adventure, this one is already in the groove. There were several 3e/PF skill checks - in fact, they were all over the damn place - but for some reason they snapped right out like modular pieces, and could be replaced by more open-ended stuff without any problem. This one is a good example of how, if the skeleton of the module is good stuff, it can work in either system. Although actually, I'm not sure how easy this would be to run using Pathfinder. Combats are pretty complex for that system, and some of this is REALLY open-ended. It will be interesting to see how it goes over with the PF crowd for that reason. I'm fairly certain the old-schoolers will like it.

Very cool atmosphere/setting/etc. You can see Conan right in the middle of this one. It's more R.E. Howard than Clark Ashton Smith.
Mythmere
Site Admin

Return to Ye "Blog"