The Full Major Announcement!

This is for project news, and discussion of the news.

The Full Major Announcement!

Postby Mythmere » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 am

EDIT: there is a 10% discount starting today, Oct. 27, and ending after a week, I believe.

Black Blade Publishing to become Exclusive Publisher of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rules and Knockspell Magazine

October 27, 2009 – Mythmere Games, developer and publisher of the ENnie-award winning Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game, is pleased to announce an exclusive agreement with Black Blade Publishing to publish the Swords & Wizardry Core Rules and Knockspell magazine, and to lead the charge to get Swords & Wizardry into retail distribution. The first print releases under this agreement will be a softcover version of the 124-page Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook and Knockspell #3.

Working with Studio 2 Publishing as its distribution partner, Black Blade Publishing expects the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook to start hitting the shelves of brick and mortar game stores by February of 2010. In addition, the in-print version of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook will be available for purchase directly from Black Blade Publishing or through select retailers by late-October, 2009.

Electronic copies of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook will be available immediately directly from Black Blade Publishing, and will be available very soon directly from Studio 2 Publishing, DrivethruRPG, RPGNow and YourGamesNow.

Print versions of Knockspell #3 are available for purchase directly from Black Blade Publishing, and issue #4 may be distributed to stores around February of 2010, at the same time as the core rules.

“The Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game is about a lot more than a return to the way these games used to be played. Swords & Wizardry unapologetically throws off 30 years of re-imagining and so-called ‘fixing’ of the original rules, returning to the wonder and mystery of “free-form” fantasy gaming without complicated rules and long rulebooks. Black Blade Publishing is very excited to be publishing the key Swords & Wizardry titles from Mythmere Games. The quality of new products being introduced in the old school gaming community is amazing, and we are really excited to be a part of it.” -- Jon Hershberger, co-founder of Black Blade Publishing

Founded in 2008 by Matthew J. Finch, Mythmere Games is best known for the Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game, the award-winning retro-clone of the original 1974 edition of the world’s most popular fantasy game. For additional information, visit

Formed in 2009 by Jon Hershberger and Allan Grohe, Black Blade Publishing will begin publishing the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook in October 2009 under license from Mythmere Games. For additional information, visit

Studio 2 Publishing has been serving the games hobby industry since 2004, serving game designers and publishers as a sales and marketing organization as well as providing fulfillment and inventory management services. For additional information, visit
Site Admin

Re: The Full Major Announcement!

Postby Koren_nRhys » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:22 am

Congrats indeed, Matt. Great to see this finally happening. For the record, I just got my PDF of KS#3 - can't wait to get reading!

EDIT: Grrr. Still trying to get the file to download. Goes partway then just hangs. <sigh>
I gots blogs!
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone

Postby Ghul » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Great news! I'm a fan of S&W, Matt "mythmere" Finch, Black Blade, Jon "tacojon" Hershberger, and Allan "grodog" Grohe. All of you working together toward a common goal is great news to me, and I look forward to whatever the future holds for this brilliant pairing.

Jeff T.
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird-Science. Coming in 2010 from North Wind Adventures. Please be sure to visit the AS&SH Facebook Page as well.

Postby Eldrad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:58 pm

So is this the version with a few of your home brewed "other" class rules.

I was always curious about your version of a thief.

Postby JD Sherrer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Tartarus Press

Donner Party Meats: We're Here to Serve YOU!
JD Sherrer

Postby oldgamergeek » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:03 am

I have visited the publisher and find this to be a great advancement of the OSR . Congrats and props out to Matt and crew. Now I have to modify my TARGA hand out. :D
my blog
our community is like a heavy metal concert full of life and passion while theirs is like a therapy session needing someones rules to tell them what to do.

Postby Wyldabeast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 pm

Wow! This is awesome news!

Glad to see things are going well on the old school front!
(Yes, I'm still around. I just don't have much to post about sadly)

Postby SonofThor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Congratulations on this! This is huuuuge!
"There is no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness!" - Kung-Fu Panda

Return to S&W Project Announcements