BlueBook (Holmes) for S&W

BlueBook (Holmes) for S&W

Postby iamtim » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 am

So I've been working on what I'm calling the BlueBook SRD for S&W, which provides Holmes-edition compatibility to S&W. But with S&W Complete out now, it seems a bit superfluous and I'm considering dumping it. Thoughts?
Gibbering Mouther - my old-school role-playing blog!
iamtim

Re: BlueBook (Holmes) for S&W

Postby JD Sherrer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 pm

I'd like to see it. Remember, there are those (not me, but others) that are not interested in the Complete version. Those that decide to stick with Whitebox or Core would probably welcome the expansion.
Tartarus Press

Donner Party Meats: We're Here to Serve YOU!
JD Sherrer

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am

iamtim wrote:So I've been working on what I'm calling the BlueBook SRD for S&W, which provides Holmes-edition compatibility to S&W. But with S&W Complete out now, it seems a bit superfluous and I'm considering dumping it. Thoughts?

Eh, I too have been working for quite some time to modifying the WB and add the contents of the OD&D Supplements. :shock:
rabindranath72

Postby Tamerlin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:32 am

I think that this project is indeed very cool. Though I like it, I am a bit disappointed with the Complete Rules. I am currently reading them but they somehow lack the sheer simplicity and the clarity of the Core Rules. So S&W: BlueBook SRD could well be what I would have liked the Complete Rules to be.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the Holmes Edition was the first RPG I bought.
Tamerlin

Postby Mythmere » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 am

Tamerlin wrote:I think that this project is indeed very cool. Though I like it, I am a bit disappointed with the Complete Rules. I am currently reading them but they somehow lack the sheer simplicity and the clarity of the Core Rules. So S&W: BlueBook SRD could well be what I would have liked the Complete Rules to be.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the Holmes Edition was the first RPG I bought.

Yes, the Core Rules are sort of a snapshot of the way I like to play (although I like thieves and the Holmes initiative system), rather than being defined by "everything from certain books." Since they are "selected," a lot of the completeness for the sake of completeness isn't there. However, I think Complete is a very powerful resource specifically for those who want to see the full sweep of OD&D as it was at the cusp before the AD&D approach took over, and then cut things back as necessary (or add to it).

I think Core and Complete represent two different approaches, with Core being a bit subjective to my preferences in terms of what was cut out and what was taken from the Supplements. It's still not exactly my game because I used some bright-line rules (three archetypes, all high-level spells, all monsters, etc).
Mythmere
Site Admin

Postby NeilFord » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

I'll add my voice to saying I'd like to see this make the light of day. Like many, Holmes was the first version I played and have a certain fondness for it.

- Neil.
S&W Forums moderator | My moderator voice is RED
NeilFord

Postby Vlark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 pm

I'd like to see this, too!
Vlark

Postby foxroe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 am

I'd love to see this as well. I know some folks roll their eyes at the thought of another retro-clone, but I don't care. I can't get enough. ;)

Cloning the rules should be fairly easy. The difficult part would be capturing the charm of the blue book (the language, layout, artwork, etc.). Presentation would be key; you'll have lots of Holmes fans out there to satisfy. No pressure. :P
-=========}=@ Fox @={=========-
foxroe

Postby foxroe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 am

Now that I'm thinking about this (do you smell smoke?), which would be better: start with S&W:WB rules and add a thief class, variable hit dice, and DEX/d6-style initiative; or, start with Core, add variable HD and d6 damage, move the thief out of the appendix, and add in the initiative rules?

Hmmm... I had always thought that the Core-route was the way to go, but maybe the WB way would be easier and closer to Holmes in "feel". :?
-=========}=@ Fox @={=========-
foxroe

Postby NeilFord » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:45 am

Having literally done a comparison between Core and Holmes (both open in front of me as I type), I think Core is the best starting point.

Personally I'm not fussed about the look and feel or the language, but rather in playing something a little closer to what I remember from my first gaming experiences. So that means the multi-talented elf (no choosing fighter or magic user each day), the Thief class (with 1d6 hit points instead of 1d4) and probably multiple saving throws. I'd keep Core's variable weapon damage just because I think it adds a bit of variety and makes weapon choice a little more important.

I'm unsure about reverting to the simple to hit table. On the one hand it keeps things simple, on the other, it removes some of the differences between the classes. That's actually quite a difficult choice.

I can feel a little cut and paste and some time with a text editor coming on...

- Neil.
S&W Forums moderator | My moderator voice is RED
NeilFord

Next

Return to General Discussion